With episode 2 of "Expedition Unknown" around the corner, fans of Josh Gates and his previous show "Destination Truth" might have some questions, or simply want to know more about the new Travel Channel show. Aside from the fact that it has a five star rating on iTunes and an 8.5 out of 10 stars rating on IMDB, and many fans have stated it is better than it's predecessor DT, here are some facts compiled from this fan page interviewing Josh Gates, producer Brad Kuhlman, and other fans asking Josh questions about this new adventure! Some random Qs answered, too, such as if Josh will write another book again. Click "read more" or simple scroll down for the rest of the story!
- How did the idea of “Expedition Unknown” come about? Created by Brad Kuhlman and Josh Gates. They shopped it around to networks and multiple were interested, but Travel Channel had the most interest in it and was the right place. DT had it’s limitations, but set the ground work for a better formula via EXU. The show features the destination and journey more than the goal of exploring a creature or a ghost investigation.
- Will any of the old DT crew be back? The DT crew, aka Team Truth, was a great part of it, but this show has graduated to focusing on a man’s singular journey. The crew, which often times changed due to their availability to film on the show's shooting schedule, is irreplaceable, but being able to talk to more experts who are local allows the story to become more immersive. Never say never though, since Evan Stone was in the premiere episode. In time, if the show succeeds, maybe they will be back to work on this series.
- Will any Travel Channel personalities cameo on EXU? The focus right now is to let the show gain momentum before we can get other personalities involved, whether they be from DT or other Travel Channel people. Josh states he does have a relationship with the Ghost Adventure guys, and it’s from events (conventions) they all did together. Again, time will tell. The same was true of DT, where the Ghost Hunters crew wasn’t involved until later on. Josh also is a good friend of and admires Don Wildman, who he was recently seen in some Twitter photos with, so maybe something is happening there that we are not aware of!
- I don't have the Travel Channel - how can I watch EXU?! The show will be available on iTunes, Amazon, and the Travel Channel app. As far as countries other than the USA- not sure where else it will air other than Canada on DTOUR, but Josh has said he sure it will reach other places when it becomes popular.
- Is there anything Josh will or will not miss about DT? Josh has said DT had a long life and it’s satisfying to him that it lasted 5 seasons. It was great Syfy took a chance on a travel show dealing with the paranormal, as well. EXU had to continue as a travel show continuing to focus on interesting stories, so cases and destinations get equal opportunity to be highlighted. It’s great to not be rushed to do cases.
- Josh still has no idea what this photo means (thanks for the fan Q, Kim!)
- Josh thinks "The Walking Dead" is stuck in a rut and misses the Governor days. Used to be a big fan, but can't believe they're back in Atlanta again. I'm sure he will be pleased if Negan, a character from the origin graphic novels, enters the story line (oh Negan, you potty mouth)
- Fan Katherine asked, via DT Fan Radio, what's one place in the world he wants to visit that he hasn’t been? JOSH - So many left. List keeps getting longer. Tibet, Sri Lanka, and most embarrassing location he hasn’t been as a professional traveler is Paris. He's been to France, but not Paris.
- Fan Brenda asked, via DT Fan Radio, not sure of why Netflix removed lots of DT episodes and do you make up any of your footage? JOSH - Never. Some of the things he has seen in that old footage is creepiest things he ever has seen.
- Fan Wesley asked, via DT Fan Radio, what was greatest experience in his life? JOSH - Big Q! Getting married. I know it sounds corny, but it’s the ultimate adventure. In terms of travel, the stuff filmed for EXU knocked his socks off. PNG access were some of most remote places he’s ever been. For DT, Antarctica travels.
- Anonymous female fan caller asked- Miss anything you were able to do on DT that's different from EXU? JOSH - Still awful cars and the locations are just as thrilling. He misses some of his team members, like Ryder. This is a solo driven mission and has different vibe. There are trade offs with everything in life and EXU has been fun to make.
- Ryan from FaceBook - Filmed anything for any show and was never aired? JOSH - Never a full episode, but lots of footage doesn’t make it on the air. Trying to boil down footage for a week worth or days worth of being on the road is hard.
- From Mendy on FB - Will you ever write another book? JOSH - It’s hard to travel, make a show and write. Wants to write more and do another book. The next thing up for him, after editing and the show is all set, is that he wants to write more. Writing his autobiography was difficult but satisfying.
- @DeeDeeW95 on Twitter asks, longest flight? JOSH - used to be from Singapore from LA direct on Singapore Airlines. No longer runs anymore. That was 18/19 hours, you could get a full night sleep and then watch 2 movies and still feel like it was longer to go. Was rough.
- @Hwilson2009 on Twitter - favorite Skittle flavor? JOSH - Purple.
- @ithaldin_lass on Twitter asked, most beautiful place on travels? JOSH - Myanmar. Peaceful and undeveloped. Was there looking for a lost relic. Seeing the sunset over thousands of temples was incredible.