For fans, this is a big deal. Why? We love the new style of storytelling "Expedition Unknown" holds, we also love the nostalgia of this case touching on Josh's roots. Looking for odd creatures that qualify as "paranormal" but still falling into the "EXU" comfort zone of the "unexplained." It's a BIG deal.
To celebrate the occasion, here is a list of other times Gates and his intrepid crew has sought out this creature so ingrained in many cultures the world over - whose legend lives on without any distinguishable evidence ever having been found:
- "Destination Truth" (DT), Season 1, Episode 4 - Bigfoot of Malaysia. Endau-Rompin National Park. Big evidence found during this episode. Josh walks out on a dubious eyewitness interview.
- "DT" Season 2, Episode 1 - Yeti of Nepal. Mount Everest. Monumental evidence uncovered. Josh and his crew gets attacked by a Monk at a Monastery that claims to own a Yeti scalp. It also looks, in this Travel Channel teaser, that he is able to revisit this site close to 10 years later and is able to actually hold the artifact?!
- "DT" Season 2 Episode 3 - Wild Man of Cambodia. A girl who disappeared into the woods years ago reemerges, has lost the ability to speak, and is thought to have survived with the help of what is called a Wild Man. Debatable if one would call it a Sasquatch type creature, or if it is just a rabid/wild human, but it is open for discussion.
- "DT" Season 2 Episode 7 - The Yowie of Australia. This is also the first episode where we are introduced to Erin Ryder!
- "DT" Season 2 Episode 8 - The Orang Pendek of Indonesia. Less stately than other wild hominids (only 3 to 5 feet tall), this legend is investigated in Sumatra. Via one of many exclusive interviews in "The Fan Guide to Destination Truth," Josh believes this could be one of the most credible stories in this genre of creatures!
- "DT" Season 3, Episode 9 - The Yeti of Bhutan. Another epic journey. We find out that the wide growth of marijuana could be what makes the local citizens so happy, according to Josh.
- "DT" Season 3, Episode 12 - The Yeren of China. Described as the Wild Man of China, Shennongjia Park beckons for the crew to seek the legend with the help of Jael de Pardo from earlier seasons.
- "DT" Season 4, Episode 10 - The Ucamar of Argentina. Debatable in hominid status, but enough eyewitness accounts plus no solid evidence leave it open for discussion.
- "DT" Season 5, Episode 1 - The Batutut of Vietnam is AKA the Ngooi Rung ("Forest Man"). Sighted in Laos and Vietnam. Reports of the creature have been provided by soldiers in the Vietnam War.
- "DT" Season 5, Episode 3 - The Kapre of the Phillipines. While the traditional tall stature of this class of creature is present, his penchant for wearing a loin cloth and smoking a cigar are certainly odd!
- "DT" Season 5, Episode 7 - The Kiyik Adam is the last hominid case sought out on this show. The crew went to Kazakhstan with enthusiasm, equipment, and "Borat" jokes in-hand on this search.
Amanda Rosenblatt is co-author of "The Fan Guide to Destination Truth" and has been a fan site runner for Josh Gates and "Destination Truth" since 2008, as well as a fan site runner for "Expedition Unknown" since 2014. Research for the book, and this article, provided by co-author Brad Acevedo. Were any Yeti references missed in this piece? Leave a comment below. Shares and references to this article are appreciated!